Circumnavigating Spitsbergen - In the Realm of the Polar Bear
About Longyearbyen, Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands
June 06 - Adventure awaits
August 17 - Adventure awaits
One of a Kind
This Svalbard expedition cruise is unique, with a great variety of landing sites and exciting Arctic experiences. We intend to sail above 80º N, with opportunities to hike, kayak and more on land and water.
Above the 80th parallel
The expedition starts by discovering the many attractions in Longyearbyen. Once at sea, we hope to sail well above the 80th parallel to within 600 nautical miles of the geographic North Pole. This Spitsbergen cruise takes in some of the most spectacular highlights of the Arctic. The local flora and fauna are in full bloom, with abundant wildlife like seals, countless seabirds, Arctic fox and reindeer.
King of the North
At the top of the chain, of course, is the mighty polar bear. There´s a good chance that we’ll see some of the polar bears of Svalbard – after all, there are more polar bears than people on the archipelago.
Summer Showcase of Nature
The Midnight Sun illuminates deep fjords, mighty glaciers and pure wilderness in Svalbard. Beautiful colors contrast the dramatic glaciers, majestic mountains, deep fjords, buzzing bird cliffs and vast arctic tundra teeming with diverse flora and fauna. Our summer journey to Svalbard in the realm of the polar bear is filled with unforgettable experiences.
- Visit Svalbard in the Arctic summer
- Circumnavigate Spitsbergen
- Sight polar bears – high likelihood
- See the Midnight Sun in untouched Arctic wilderness
- Hurtigruten expedition cruise in the cabin grade of your choice
- Coach-class flights between Oslo and Longyearbyen
- One hotel night in Longyearbyen before the voyage including breakfast and lunch
- All transfers in Longyearbyen including an excursion before the voyage
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR AN ADVENTURE
- A rich program of included activities on all voyages designed to immerse you in the destinations you visit, including onshore exploration with the expedition team
- Professional English-speaking expedition team - an international, handpicked team of highly educated experts in various academic fields with profound knowledge of the region we sail in
- Complimentary wind and water-resistant jacket
- Loan of boots, trekking poles, and equipment needed for optional and included activities
ENGAGING ONBOARD ACTIVITIES AND EDUCATION
- In-depth lectures on science, history, biology, geography, geology or culture that provide context to your voyage and help you understand the destinations you will experience
- Explorer Science program, with educational and Citizen Science activities that inform you about the sights you’ll see while contributing to research
- Introductory photo lecture, including camera adjustments and tips and tricks
- Photos and film/video footage from the voyage shared in the Expedition Logbook
- Casual opportunities to engage with the expedition team and other guests, including a welcome event, daily gatherings to recap the day and prepare for the day to come
- Opportunities to dine and interact with the expedition team and officers
- Destination-focused onboard library
- Port presentations providing destination insight
- A farewell event
PREMIUM ONBOARD COMFORT
- All meals including beverages (beer and wine, sodas and mineral water in all ship restaurants)
- Coffee and tea included throughout the day
- Early riser and afternoon treat offered in addition to breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Gym, outdoor hot tubs and sauna with windows
- Free Wi-fi onboard for all guests. Be aware that we sail in remote areas with limited connection. Streaming is not supported.
- No gratuities expected
- International flights
- Optional shore excursions with our local partners
- Optional small-group adventures with our expedition team such as kayaking (availability contingent on weather conditions and safety)
- Travel protection plan
- Luggage handling
- All planned activities are subject to weather and ice conditions
From 59º N to 78º N - Oslo / Longyearbyen - Flight & overnight
Before your evening flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen, spend the day in the museums, parks and cafés of Norway’s capital city. When you arrive in Svalbard, you’ll discover an entirely different world - a small town perched on the edge of vast Arctic tundra. Transfer to your hotel and overnight.
Norwegian Stronghold in the High Arctic - Longyearbyen - Embarkation
Join an exciting excursion after lunch to get to know this frontier town. The mighty Arctic wilderness dominates life here, but Longyearbyen maintains a lively cultural life and is considered a prime destination for adventure travelers worldwide. Enjoy the unique atmosphere of this colorful outpost before boarding your ship, MS Spitsbergen.
Amazing Fjords with Fascinating History - North West Spitsbergen National Park
Spitsbergen´s northwestern corner is strewn with rugged islands, beautiful fjords and isolated beaches. It is also the site of spectacularly scenic Northwest-Spitsbergen National Park.
This is true wilderness, so the captain works with the elements to create the best itinerary for your expedition cruise.
We hope to visit Kongsfjorden, one of the most beautiful fjord areas in Spitsbergen, where mighty glaciers calve icebergs into the sea, framed by stunning mountains. Another possibility is Ny-Ålesund, an international research center hosting a picturesque mix of old and new buildings.
Wherever we explore, the expedition team will lead exciting optional ice-cruising and landing activities as we explore further north.
Expedition Days in the Arctic - Eastern Svalbard Nature Reserve
Eastern Svalbard boasts the highest population of polar bears on the archipelago – and we have high hopes of spotting one on this journey! The ocean is full of drifting ice, and we intend to cross 80º N if conditions allow. We hope to sail all the way to Sjuøyane (Seven Islands) at the far north of the archipelago.
Heading south, we will sail through the Hinlopen Strait, where thousands of seabirds mate while walrus dive for clams in the bays.
We continue towards Edgeøya, the third-largest island in the Svalbard archipelago. On its western shores, the landscape is largely unglaciated, unlike most other places on the eastside of Spitsbergen.
National Park Beauty - South Spitsbergen National Park
We make our way to the southernmost tip of Spitsbergen, where Hornsund hosts a wonderfully varied landscape and geology. Ice pushed into the fjord early in the season attracts polar bears that hunt on the floes, so with a bit of luck, we may spot some of these magnificent predators.
The Wilds of Isfjord - The Isfjord
We will spend the day exploring the Isfjord, the most prominent fjord system on Svalbard. The immense U-shaped valleys, carved out of the mountains by giant glaciers that covered the area some 10,000 years ago, are home to large populations of Svalbard reindeer.
End of the Expedition - Longyearbyen / Oslo - Disembarkation & Flight
As we sail back into Longyearbyen, enjoy the magnificent surrounding scenery. A transfer vehicle will take you to the airport for your night flight. Arrival early in the morning in Oslo.